Thursday, July 10, 2008

Brevity is the Soul of Witt

Long Island's own "Braveheart", Brendan Witt, gets a 2-year extension worth $6M to keep him an Islander through the 2010-2011 season. The most remarkable aspect of this announcement is that it is literally the first piece of Islanders news in years that has been met with unanimous fan approval. If you don't believe me, feel free to peruse the notoriously prickly commenters over at Logan's blog here and here.


You can certainly count me in with the masses. As far as defensive defensmen go, Witt's near the top of the class. And he adds a lot of the intangibles that this team needs - leadership, toughness, hockey intelligence. His ratio of effectiveness-to-flashiness is probably the highest in the league. If you're not really watching, you might never notice the guy. But for fans of good defensive fundamentals and the occasional blocked-shot-with-your-face, he's the man.
.
It was nice to see how complimentary he was towards the organization, and hopefully as one of the team leaders that sentiment can infect the locker room.
*
Bonus points for anyone geeky enough to get the reference in the title of this post.

4 comments:

Jim McGlynn said...

my geekiness knows no bounds. Yet I am bewildered by your title..

Anonymous said...

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_does_'brevity_is_the_soul_of_wit'_mean

Castroanqs said...

my geekiness knows no bounds. Yet I am bewildered by your title..

Zamora said...

my geekiness knows no bounds. Yet I am bewildered by your title..